Sunday, February 12, 2012

6/7/8th Month Update?

OK! After much hounding from my dear roommate and a slightly guilty conscious, I have once again taken up the keyboard to type out a small tid-bit about my life and where it has gone!

"Jelly Leg" syndrome has been conquered and I find I'm quite the isle surfer when it comes to a rocking boat these days. December had a glimmer of sweet light when I was awarded a true blue schedule. However, in January I was knocked back into reality with yet another reserve schedule. February has followed suit.

I have flown to many a tantalizing southeast regional destinations such as Little Rock, AR and Jackson, MS. On a more exotic note there has been many a trip to Beaumont, Tyler, and Del Rio ;-). I do admit a bit of fondness from Mississippi and a lovely little restaurant, The Mellow Mushroom. They have a wide selection of beverages, and the most amazing homemade pretzels with accompanying dips. I find I enjoy exploring the little areas around our accommodations in every town, except Mcallen....dodgy place. Although work has been slow these past couple months, I have found it very fulfilling when I fly. There is something about making people smile and bringing back that 60's glamour to flying that drives me.

I have this philosophy about flying these days. Most people fly out of convenience, I don't argue that, but I know people still long for that  nostalgia when they walk on board. I know it is a taboo thing for someone in my position to argue with the status-quo for fear of upsetting someone, but it is the truth. People don't want to sit on a cramped plane and be bombarded by your derriere as you move through the isle. Beating them up with the beverage carts is cruelty enough (although some of you have justly deserved a bruised elbow or mushed toe, you know who you are -.-) . Nor do travelers want a negative Nancy or pout-y Polly. We are here to work and work well. We are not oppressed by the girdles of those who have come before us nor hand cuffed in white gloves and apron strings. There has been considerable liberation, can't you just smile already?! (stacking another soap box on top the last) We have access to the world, THE WORLD! and a job most can people only dream about. No, its not glamorous. We look frumpy, work long hours, deal with incredibly rude people, and get paid next to nothing. But, it's FUN! So my advice...relax, smile, tell them you are doing everything you can and actually do it. Even if the result isn't successful 9 out of 10 times people are satisfied you tried. (steps down, kicks soap boxes aside feeling unstoppable, and smiling)

Now, onto my personal stuff. I bought a house! That's right my avid readers! I am a fully 100% independent woman ;-) look out world here I am! I have the worlds loveliest, and persistent, roommate. My little dog is loving her new back yard, and I'm loving working around the house "nesting" as mom puts it. My birthday is just around the corner as well. 24. Officially in my mid-twenties, and leaving you early twenties crowd behind!  Oh how we long to be grown up and adults, and then it happens...overnight.

God is good, as always, and  has provided me with everything I need. My cup runneth over and I am thankful. So many blessings in 2011 and so many many more in 2012. Praise be to Him!

As always, Happy Travels.

P.S. please feel free to leaves questions in your comments, I promise I read them...and it does tickle me pink when you do respond! :-)

3 comments:

  1. I want to hear more about your house!! And your small time travels are just paving the way for grander travels, so hang on!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting! I am wondering when I might get a dinner or lunch invitation!

    I always love reading your posts...ya know, there are a lot of similarities to being a flight attendant and a dental hygienist, in terms of dealing with people, OSHA rules and regulations, the law, etc. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed the mental pictures you've created with your words. I laughed out loud at, "bombarded by your derriere as you move through the aisle," as I doubt you have enough ammunition with which to bombard! Perhaps you should consider writing a book about your airborne adventures and those you serve.

    ReplyDelete