Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Getting Over Jelly Legs

Well, I'm 3 weeks in and I'm loving it! Sitting in the airport for 8 hours waiting to fill-in for someone is a little less fun, but actually flying is great! My passengers have been really good. I've had some get sick, cranky, and a little weary of the bumpy journey but I think my smile and a few reassuring words have straightened them out. I realize it's been forever since I've written, but a lot has been happening! I think I've flown about 20-25 flights on my reserve time. I have my schedule for next month already! Praise be to God that I was able to get Sundays off all month. I'm sure not every month will be that way, but for now I'll take the blessing and fly with it!

I find myself lacking meaningful relationships at work. I have the few people I trained with and a some acquaintances from the crew room, but nothing really personal. I have a hunch I'm hear to be a light in a dark place, but I feel very dim right now :-(. I'm doing my best to stay vigilant. I would love to have a Christian friend though, untainted by the gossip and inappropriateness in the crew room.

My hosts in Atascosita have been fantastic! I've known them since birth and it's been great to get to know each other at this stage in life. They enjoy spending time with their 2 grandsons and their family, as well as enjoying retirement. It's a really laid back relaxed environment to come home to. I do miss my own family when i'm away though, especially my puppy dog :-).

The more and more I fly the less I have the feeling of "Jelly Legs" when I'm back on the ground. It's very similar to sea legs I imagine. It's been a lot of fun to surf down the aisle while serving, and not spilling. Its so much like surfing it's unreal! The plane drops out from under you or it swerves left/right throwing you around, but if you keep your knees bent and get your center of gravity under your hips you'll do fine!

Well, I am going back to cleaning up the house! Good afternoon and happy travels!

3 comments:

  1. It just takes time to build relationships, but people are going to notice you and some will flock to you because of your sweet spirit. Darkness is not naturally drawn to the light, so keep shining, sweetie, and God will use you!
    So fun to hear how things are going!

    Peaches

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca,

    this is very belated, but I am thankful for your friendship, and love your posts here. Do keep up with your posting! I just wanted to say that I sincerely feel for you about the work relationship issue, and the unmitigated desire for a good Christian co-worker. I remember back in '03 when I stepped through the doors of a secular college for the first time, how it felt to be in an environment working alongside chefs and classmates with no one like-minded to stand alongside me, like Christian's dear friend Hopeful in Pilgrim's Progress to encourage me, pray with me, and to give me good counsel. Such sweet companionship was thirsted for!

    Such blatant ungodliness washed over me like a tidal wave during my two year sojourn in that place, although I will honestly say that the LORD God used such evil to make me stand a stronger Christian, especially in the sense that when I felt overwhelmed by the ungodliness around me, jealousies, insinuations and the like, He turned my heart to Him and provoked me to seek Him out, and take comfort in Him, by which means He so enabled me to endure it. Do you remember that part in Psalm twenty three which says, "Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me."? I know that our Lord is with you, and I know that He will keep your soul. I will be praying especially that His Almighty hedge of protection will surround you, as it did for His servant Job, and keep you! Oh, and a Christian co-worker friend is on my prayer list, too! Love you!! ♥

    ~Lucy L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just now reading this Miss Sky Traveler. Love reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete