Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Free to move about the country

I am finished!!!  I passed all my inflight training, and am ready to starting flying solo. I have been to New Orleans, Mcallen, Killeen, Shreveport, and Tyler already! Everywhere we stayed was lovely. The Holiday Inn in Tyler was especially nice.

The flying itself was a ton of fun. My first trip out on either aircraft I was a little timid (hard to believe, I know), but I took control by my second flight. My bag got left in New Orleans all day the first day. It finally showed up around 11pm. I had to be up at 0330 the next day. Thanks to everyone who flew that 5:20am flight with me after only having 4 hours of sleep. I had the best passengers in the world. Not one of them gave me a hard time, most of them were laughing with me (you who weren't know who you are, don't think I didn't notice you laughing AT me). I am still working on getting my "sea legs" so to speak. Every night when I lie down to sleep it feels like i'm on the ocean waves and my body is rocking with the surf. Its an odd sensation that will pass with time I hope.

Today was the most exciting of all, I think. I only flew one leg and it was my exam. I feel I did very well and will represent the company fairly well when I'm on my own. I still bobble a little as we begin to taxi and fumble  with my announcement cards, but the awkwardness will subside. I think maybe 2 of the 6 flights I flew this week were on time...I really will have to work on the semper gumby style of life. My last flight today (The Test) was flown without the cabin being pressurized. The pilots kept the plane at a breathable altitude and we did just fine. I don't think a single passenger noticed. It was bumpier than normal at the lower altitude, but I managed to not spill drinks on anyone or fall...All in all I think it was a successful day. I'm pooped and ready for bed. I've got my dog and my teddy bear ready to go!

As always, good night and happy travels.  

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Thanks for the update. It is funny how turbulence increases when drinks are being served. I think there should be some axiom name for this!

    Suzanne, maybe we should go places! I want to!!!

    Very proud of you, Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete