Monday, June 13, 2011

FIRE!!!

Today was the fire fighting lesson. I aced it! I am a whiz at putting out fires! It probably helped that a huge storm/tornado has just passed by us about 20 minutes before. I was a little scared, the wind was rocking the huge pine tree outside our class room window. The rain was swirling and it was getting really loud outside! Eventually it all calmed down and we were able to start practicing our fire drills. The first step was to put on an oxygen generating hood. Our practice hood was not operational at all! It had a hole in the front to breathe from. It was intense. We had to smother the flames in Halon. While I was standing by waiting for my turn, along with 12 other students, I was choking on the Halon that the wind was blowing around. The function of the Halon is to suffocate the fire. You use Halon on class B & C fires. Those are electrical and flammable liquid fires (I've been studying). We also had our first big exam today. I made top score in the class and I am tied for the top spot in the class! Yay! Tomorrow is first aid training and CPR. Somewhere there are photos of me fighting fire. When I find them I'll try to get them up! We got fitted for our uniforms today. I would love to say they are super glamorous, but they aren't. They are very clean cut and modest, navy blue and white. I think I will end up purchasing the double breasted knee length dress and a pants/vest/blazer combo. Graduation will be in Houston on July 2nd. As far as I know its an open event. I am so excited to be back in Houston!!!! Tomorrow is my last day in Memphis!!! Well folks, its a bit late again. I'm headed to bed! Good night and happy travels! 

4 comments:

  1. Well, we already knew you were exceptional!! ;D
    Go, girl, go! How exciting...you are going to make a great flight attendant. I am sorry to say I'll be out of town during your graduation.
    But I'll be rooting for you the whole way!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought you looked great in navy! Can't wait to see you in uniform!! Keep up the good work! So very happy for you.
    Hugs,
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo!!!! Way to go! I would love to try to attend the graduation! Fun! Do you know specific details so I can put it on my calendar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bother...I will be out of town on July 2 as well. You are going to make one amazingly cute flight attendant!

    ReplyDelete