Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Week 3 in Houston...

So this monday was the start of week 3!! I'm halfway done and still going strong. The fatigue is starting to show a little, but I'm pushing through as best as I can. Sunday my roommate left training to return to White Plains, NY. It was a sad day for me. I really enjoied her company and had bonded quite a bit. We still chat through text and she seems to be doing well. Another one of our class members left Monday. He was a retired NYPD officer who had helped with chaos after 9-11. He went home to be with his 2 children. To him it was more an imoprtant that he be there for his 2 pre-teens. I agree. Father's need to play an active role in the lives of their children. I am so proud of him for making that decision. Yesterday we got up on the aircraft for the first time! Above is a photo of my attempt to get the door open. It took several attempts and eventually it took standing on a small staircase to get it open. :-) There was no a/c in the hanger and none in the aircraft either...It got so hot and so sweaty everywhere. I had a blast! I got to take out the emergency exit windows and the emergency door. It is surprisingly easy. I expected them to be super heavy and to barely be able to lift them, but I am confident I could hurl them from the aircraft if needed. Yay!!!

Many of you met my class mate Eugene on Sunday or at least saw him with me at church. Today is his birthday! I organized a surprise birthday party in the lobby with help from my classmates. He was thrilled and got teary eyed :-). I remember how hard it is to be away from home on your birthday and without your family.  Everyone here feels like family and tries really hard to lift each other up! We lost two more classmates this morning so we are down to..23 from the original 28.

I can not wait to get on the Dash 8 Q-400 to practice! It's such a pretty plane! It's the same length as the 737, but has a 2-2 seat configuration in place of the 3-3. It is also quieter than a jet (seriously!). They have installed equipment on the Q-400 that acts like noise cancelling headphones in the cabin. There are microphones all along the inside of the cabin that pick up and analyze the noise frequencies coming from the props. The cabin then emits a frequency of its own to counter act the noise of the props. It's one of the most amazing pieces of technology in the air! The Q it's self is significantly more fuel efficient then the most jets and on a 2 hour trip only takes 15 minutes longer than a jet. It's a really cool aircraft :-)

Tomorrow I have a quiz over the general layout of the Q so I am going to get to studying! Good night and happy travels!

3 comments: