Friday, June 17, 2011

Home Again

I'm finding it a lot harder to concentrate now that we are back in Houston. I'm getting too comfortable since I know my surroundings and am only a short drive from home. It takes a lot more self control than I expected to stay on task. We all lose more and more sleep each night, so every day is a struggle to stay awake and keep focused. We talked about HAZMAT and security today. Not much I can really talk about... I learned that lithium batteries can spontaneously combust in cargo. They have to be carried on in the cabin. They can still explode in the cabin, but at least I can see the explosion when it's right in front of me. I also learned about an explosion on a flight from Miami, FL in 1996 that completely destroyed the aircraft. The only thing left was a burned patch of grass in a non-distinguishable shape. It was a human error that caused the explosion. Improperly packaged compressed oxygen (the stuff stored above your head in flight with the cute little yellow mask attached) was stowed in cargo and multiple containers of it exploded 10 minutes after take-off. Normally this type of oxygen, when used in flight above your head, is wrapped in insulation that can withstand lots of heat. In this instance it was being transported in cargo for operational needs. Several people were found responsible for the error and were put in prison in 1998 when the investigation was closed.

On a happier note, I should get to go on an actual plane tomorrow. I am looking forward to this with great anticipation! I've been studying very hard to learn all the different configurations of the aircraft and where everything is located. I had a lovely conversation with a continental flight attendant over dinner on the patio this evening. She's been with them 25 years and travels to and from London about 18 days out of the month. She loves her job and was very encouraging.

There are so many options within this industry for me. I am so excited to see where God is taking me! He told me to wait to get here and it has been wonderful so far. I can't imagine what He has in store for me next. I feel a need to witness a lot to the people around me. Some show signs of religious morality, but most don't. I find that I struggle to love my neighbors right now. There are people who test my patience, and I'm not using self control and showing them God's love. It is one of my greatest downfalls. I get angry with people when they do stupid things. If God was that way with me, I would have been struck down a long long time ago. God is so good.

Well, it has been a long day, long afternoon, and long night. Good night and happy travels!

2 comments:

  1. Well, it sounds like you are learning an awful lot in LOTS of different areas of life! Will we see you tomorrow??? Have an exciting day!!
    Peaches

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to have you nearby again. Always a blessing to see you learning and growing! See you tomorrow. Here' the menu: chicken fried steak, okra from the garden ..fried of course, mashed potatoes and gravy, tomatoes from the garden, and pound cake with strawberries or chocolate sauce...or both. Bring your buddies! Hugs,
    Mama

    ReplyDelete